Who Is Guy Pelly? 5 Things to Know About the Memphis Wedding of William and Harry's BFF
Dave Thompson - WPA Pool/Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images
But the one thing you may be asking yourself is, "Who in the world is Guy Pelly and why is he having a royal-worthy wedding in Memphis?"
Pelly is a longtime friend of the famous royals, and Kate Middleton as well, but there's a lot more to know about this guy.
While we wait for Pelly to wed fiancée Lizzy Wilson tomorrow in front of Will, Harry and other British bigwigs, here are five things to know about Pelly and his big "royal" wedding.
TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge/David M. Benett/Getty Images
1. Who Is He? Pelly, 32, is a British nightclub owner and entrepreneur who graduated from Newcastle University with a land management degree. He's been friends with Will and Harry for years and even threw Will's stag party prior to his 2011 royal wedding to Kate. Will and Kate also named Pelly a godfather to baby boy Prince George last year. Pelly also has royal history in his family. Pelly's mother, Lady Carolyn Herbert, was a former girlfriend of Prince Andrew and was also a close friend to the late Princess Diana.
David M. Benett/Getty Images
2. Who's Lizzy Wilson? Pelly's fiancée, Elizabeth Alleen Wilson, is the American-born heiress to the Holiday Inn hotel empire. Her grandfather, Kemmons Wilson, founded the business in 1951. Wilson attended both the University of Virginia and Georgetown. She relocated to London where she currently lives with Pelly.
3. Why Memphis? Believe it or not, the first Holiday Inn was established in the Tennessee town. Lizzy Wilson is a Tennessee native and went to high school in Memphis. Wilson's family also has ties to Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous, the restaurant Will and Harry dined at last night for Pelly's wedding party. The restaurant tells E! News Wilson's grandfather ate there all the time in the ?50s and ?60s when he was starting his hotel empire.
4. Wedding Itinerary: Pelly and Wilson's wedding isn't a one-day affair. Will and Harry flew in for three days of partying! Festivities started last night with the wedding party dinner at Rendezvous. Today, the princes toured Elvis Presley's mansion at Graceland with other wedding guests (Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie also reportedly toured the grounds). The wedding ceremony will take place on Saturday with festivities winding down on Sunday with a brunch near the Wilson family estate.
Chris Jackson/Getty Images
5. Why Kate Middleton Skipped the Big Day: Although the duchess is also close with Pelly, there was one very important reason she and little George stayed home in England: Kate didn't want to cause a "global media circus." "If all three senior royals had gone, it would have required a huge security detail flying to Memphis with them," a source recently revealed. "After Australia, Kate's happy to leave William and Harry to it and spend some time at home with George...She's also keen to avoid overshadowing Guy and Lizzy's big day. William and Harry also don't want the thing to turn into a circus." Makes sense, right? Will and Harry are getting enough stateside attention as it is!
?Reporting by Andrea Martinez